Recommended Reading About "Aging Better"
These nonfiction books are discussions about the challenges and opportunities of aging. The fiction books are those with a major protagonist who is an older adult.
- Ageless Soul: Life Long Journey Toward Meaning and Joy by Thomas Moore
- A Long Bright Future: Happiness, Health & Financial Security in an Age of Increased Longevity by Laura Carstensen
- Agewise: Fighting the New Ageism in America by Margaret Margunroth Gullette
- Better with Age: The Psychology of Successful Aging by Alan D. Castel
- Elderhood by Louise Aronson - 2019
- Mortal: Medicine & What Matters in the End by Alul Gawande
- No Stopping Us Now: The Adventures of Older Women in American History by Gail Collins - 2019
- Purpose and a Paycheck: Finding Meaning, Money, and Happiness in the Second Half of Live by Chris Farrell
- This Chair Rocks: A Manifesto Against Ageism by Ashton Applewhite - 2016
- This is Getting Old: Zen Thoughts on Aging with Humor and Dignity by Marian King Herreid
- Who Will Take Care Of Me When I'm Old?: Plan Now to Safeguard Your Health and Happiness in Old Age K by Joy Loverde
- Women Rowing North: Navigating Life's Currents and Flourishing as We Age by Mary Pipher
Fiction With A Focus On Older Adults
- A Man Called Ove by Fredrik Backman
- A Portrait of an Artist, as an Old Man by Joseph Heller.
- A Spool of Blue Thread, Anne Tyler. Crossing
to Safety by Wallace Stegner
- Etta and Otto and Russell and James by Emma Hooper
- Less by Andrew Sean Greer
- Lila, Marilynne Robinson.
- Lillian Boxfish Takes a Walk: A Novel by Kathleen Rooney
- Look Homeward, Angel, Thomas Wolfe
- Our Souls at Night: A novel by Kent Haruf
- Paris in the Present Tense by Mark Helprin
- Still Life with Bread Crumbs by Anna Quindlen
- The Little Old Lady Who Broke All The Rules by Catherina Ingelman-Sunderberg
- The Love Song of Miss Queenie Hennessy: A Novel by Rachel Joyce
- The Night Guest: A Novel by Fiona McFarlane
- The Old Man and the Sea, Ernest Hemingway
- The Unlikely Pilgrimage of Harold Fry: A Novel by Rachel Joyce
- Those Foolish Things by Deborah Moggach
- Tirra Lirra by the River by Jessica Anderson
Learn more about
our events & register.
Donate to help us expand our services.